Who We Are
Community Forklift is the DC-area’s nonprofit reuse center for home improvement supplies. We collect donations of new and gently used building materials and home essentials and make them available to the community at low cost. We also distribute free materials to nonprofits and neighbors in need, create good green jobs, and educate the public about reuse.
Community Forklift lifts up local communities by making repairs affordable, reducing waste, promoting reuse, and creating green jobs.
By donating and shopping at Community Forklift, you help our nonprofit:
- Make repairs and renovation more affordable for everyone in the community—homeowners, small businesses, charitable groups, etc.
- Reduce construction industry waste, keep reusable materials out of the landfill, and reduce the mining and harvesting of dwindling natural resources.
- Provide public education about reuse and recycling options, green living, and environmental sustainability.
- Build the local economy and develop career opportunities for nearby residents.
Since 2005, Community Forklift has:
- Recovered an estimated $45 million of building materials in the DC metro region, keeping tons of materials from going to landfills or being burned in incinerators.
- Provided over $830,000 in free materials to neighbors in need and local nonprofits since 2011.
- Partnered with hundreds of community groups, including housing nonprofits, schools, gardens, theatres, faith-based groups, and volunteers.
Building materials comprise up to 40% of our nation’s solid waste stream.
- Functional used materials end up in the landfill when existing buildings are renovated or updated.
- Brand-new leftover and discontinued store inventory is often thrown away when cleared out to make way for new products.
- Valuable old-growth lumber and antique fixtures are destroyed when existing buildings are demolished to make way for new construction.